Thursday, December 4, 2008

Its Been Almost a Year, but I have a good excuse!

I was looking at my blog and just stared blankly... my goodness, my last post was last March. I guess that puts me in the ranks of all time crappiest blogger. I think I have a pretty good excuse- or multiple excuses.

Last March we really kicked into overdrive with trying to finish the house. I can honestly say it was a blur, and something I never care to repeat, but definitely worth it. Seeing the looks on the girls faces when they saw the completed house for the first time, their new rooms for the first time- made it all worthwhile! We moved in at the end of July and have been striving to turn it into our 'home' ever since. I sewed drapes and Phil completed built in cabinets, we added touches of furniture, found artwork, and have been slowly adding pieces here and there. I wake up every morning at 5 with Phil and always think it is a dream that we made it! In the shower I laugh, remembering the hours we spent at the tile and stone shop picking out the perfect pattern and match. Every wall, every fixture, every tile, paint color and window has a story- the story of how we became a family. Some memories aren't the greatest, but most are in their funny, quirky ways.

The past year has also been a struggle with managing Ryley's bi-polar. She is a fighter and when she wants to throw in the towel- we won't let her. She hates being different, she hates taking medication, she hates fighting for control of her emotions, but fight she does! She is every bit of a hero to me. We found her a mentor- God Bless Mindy! M. lives with this disease everyday and has become a successful professional, married, and expecting her first child. She answers all of R.'s questions and supports her in a way Phil and I can't. God Bless Phil! He has taken this challenge with a gusto I would have never thought possible, and when R. is losing it, she goes to Phil, she listens to Phil, and she relies on Phil.

Everyone grew this past year. Emotionally, physically, intellectually and spiritually- we all grew and we became a family through our struggles. God threw almost everything at us, and we didn't break. That is my blessing for the year!

No comments: